Monday, April 2, 2012

It is not good for man to be alone

I'm not a big fan of biblical exegesis. It's just not something that speaks to me. It reminds me of arguments about tax law.

HOWEVER...

Occasionally, once in a blue moon, a theological argument comes along that captures my interest, as this video did. The speaker, Matthew Vines, a 21-year-old college student, is well-informed, articulate and passionate about his subject. It's extraordinarily well done, over-the-top well done.

The presentation runs about an hour. If you don't have time now, bookmark this and come back to it. You won't be sorry. Although the speaker doesn't target an LDS audience specifically, his analysis will apply equally.



I particularly like his points that mention the positive biblical statements about pair bonds.

I don't know much about this young man, but I know he will do well in life. I'm proud to claim Mr. Vines for Team Gay.

Via: Dan Savage

(For those of you who just can't bring yourself to watch, the transcript is here. There is also an article by Vines where he discusses his motivations.)

6 comments:

Trev said...

THANK YOU for the transcript. It drives me crazy when people link to cool things I really want to know about but then find out they are videos--which I generally don't want to sit through. I will check this out.

Steven B said...

Thanks for the link to the Huff. Post article. Kathy at Canyonwalker Connections has been promoting Vine's video and has a few additional details here: http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/the-bible-and-homosexuality-biblical-presentation-with-matthew-vines/

Vine's is the best treatment of this topic that I have ever seen. I love his approach and his tone. Well worth the time spent.

J G-W said...

Cogently and persuasively presented... No really new arguments here, but some great insights into the texts. I particularly liked the point he made about the concept of "exchange" in his analysis of the Romans text. I also liked his contrast of the "it is not good" phrase with all of God's other declarations about creation that it is "good" or "very good." That sort of drives home the point rather compellingly.

Long ago, I came to realize that scriptural argument, however, doesn't persuade. There are counterarguments to all those presented here. Ultimately, I think people choose to accept one argument over the other for reasons that are external to the scriptures. Usually the persuading factor is having a gay or lesbian loved one in their lives whom they know and care about...

I did print out the transcript though and put it in my files for future reference. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

MoHoHawaii said...

Hi J G-W,

I'm glad you liked this. I know you're kind of an expert in this area.

I don't know about you, but I found Vines's oral presentation to be more helpful than the transcript alone. It's great how he personalized the effects of the various interpretations on actual human lives.

J G-W said...

Yes -- I listened to the talk. (But also printed out the transcript, since, as I said, there was a lot of useful stuff in there.)

I think the most important part of the talk was his personal plea at the end, where he talks about what it means to be a Christian, and what it means to bear one another's burdens -- and how the callousness of many religious folks toward gay men and lesbians is clearly out of harmony with that.

That was key, since I think it is the act of empathy that actually changes minds and hearts around this issue...

Danny said...

Im fine with gay people, but Vines' arguments are flawed. Details here: http://stasisonline.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/homosexual-marriage/