Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Celebrity crushes - science edition

Crush #1 - Lawrence Krauss, physicist

This lecture is one of the simplest and clearest explanations of basic scientific cosmology I've ever run across. If you've ever wondered how we know things like the scale of the universe or its age or why we observe that all stars are moving away from us, watch this lecture. (Running time: ~1 hour)

(Warning: Krauss's point of view is secular, and he doesn't tiptoe around the idea that religious stories of origin are not factual. Some believers may be offended by his jokes.)



Crush #2 - Hot brain-on-brain action: Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss discuss topics related to science education. (Running time ~120 min.)



Now I need to go take a cold shower!

2 comments:

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks for the vids! I watched them with my kids, and we loved them! That first one is where that great Symphony of Science quote comes from: "Scientists love mysteries; they love not knowing."

MoHoHawaii said...

Hi CLH!!!

I'm so glad you guys liked them. I find this stuff (okay, and these guys) to be utterly thrilling. : -)