Thursday, March 12, 2009

Deseret News news

Now this:

[N]ine reporters for LDS-owned Deseret News, the largest newspaper in Utah, recently went public with having received an editorial directive before the marriage campaign in California which prohibited them from publishing any negative news stories toward the Mormon Church or positive toward gay people. At least two editors at the paper were demoted due to their disputes with Editor Joe Cannon [over] the directive.


Via: Oasis California News

7 comments:

Ezra said...

My initial reaction was shock.

Then I realized that I'm not surprised at all, this is the New Face of the LDS Church... the church I was raised in and loved is dead.

[kɹeɪ̯ɡ̊] said...

What I'm surprised about is that anyone balked at all.

Captain Midnight said...

Wow. That kind of pisses me off, and by "kind of" I mean really.

MoHoHawaii said...

One other data point... I have heard from people who posted comments on the Deseret News web site that their gay-positive comments were removed by moderators while comments hostile toward gay rights, even if aggressively negative, were allowed to remain. I did not post to the Deseret News web site, so I can't confirm this personally, but I have no reason to disbelieve the people who told me their comments had been deleted.

Sabayon said...

I am shocked I tell you shocked that they would do such a thing.

Would you really expect the official newspaper of the Church to do anything else? Has Desert News ever published negative news stories about the church or positive stories of gay people?

MoHoHawaii said...

Hi Sabayon,

What's unusual about this story is that they are getting flak from their reporters about this. There was an actual public protest by their own reporters. Imagine.

CLARK JOHNSEN said...

wow really?!