Friday, February 20, 2009

No More Goodbyes, Please - Part 3

My boyfriend Tobi is in an immigration crisis. I blogged previously about this here and here.

Tobi recently found another job, so the deportation clock has quit ticking. (Yay!) I can't really go into the details here, but the job he found is provisional at best. He is continuing to look for other employment in his field, and the situation continues to entail a lot of risk and uncertainty. Of course, if Tobi had state-approved anatomy, we would not have to worry one minute about our ability to live together in the U.S.

A bill has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate that would help same-sex binational couples like Tobi and me. The law would give "permanent partners" the same immigration protections that opposite-sex married couples currently enjoy in the United States. You can read a summary of the pending legislation here.

In order to pass, this bill needs support. You can help couples like Tobi and me by writing your congressional representatives. It's easy, and you can do it online via the Immigration Equality Web site.

Tobi and I do not know what the future will bring for us. That we are "at risk" is an understatement! If anyone ever tells you that legal protections for gay people do not matter, feel free to use Tobi and my situation to let them know otherwise.

2 comments:

Ezra said...

wow, what a great example. I will use it.

I hope everything works out for you both.

Lorian said...

Good luck to Tobi in his job search. I hope it works out.