Saturday, January 24, 2009

From the reap-what-you-sow department

A woman named Kathy recounts her interview with the LDS Church's market research team:

I just finished an incredibly long, drawn out market research survey wanting to know about my opinions about various religions, how I learned about them, what I thought was important in a church, blah blah blah. As these things often do, the questions got more and more specific.

So who cares what I think? Looks like the Latter Day Saints want to know my impressions of them—and specifically if I associate them with being homophobic.


It seems that the church has recently been conducting (expensive) market research to find out how severely its public image has been tarnished by its involvement in Proposition 8.

Revelation and market research are strange bedfellows.

3 comments:

Sabayon said...

I used to work for a market research company. It's slightly less soul-destroying than telemarketing but more than working at a carnival stand. But the funny thing is its a job that tends to attract a lot of queers and goths since of course you can dress however you like. Since you are just calling people from a tiny cubicle, no one really cares if you are a boy in a skirt or have magenta hair with black tips, or whatever. I wonder how the church would feel if they realized they were supporting "alternative lifestyles".

Scot said...

"It seems that the church has recently been conducting (expensive) market research to find out how severely its public image has been tarnished by its involvement in Proposition 8."

Is it odd that I find hope in this? Or sad?

green mormon architect said...

Good to know the widow's mite is being used to determine if getting involved in politics is worth it...