Friday, November 7, 2008

Second thoughts

One of the things that gives me hope is the fact that many LDS people do not agree with the Church's involvement in eliminating marriage for same-sex couples. For example, see this thread on one of the Mormon blogs.

Here are a few quotes by LDS folks:

I’m a single straight LDS guy with no close homosexual friends or family. I’m more hurt and angry about this than I thought I ever would be. Right now I can only pray and hope that I can somehow do a small part to seek forgiveness for the sin we have committed.

* * *

A woman writes:
For me there is such bitterness in the concept of my rights being put to a vote. Let me be clear, my partner is a man, but I speak of my rights in this because they are.

* * *

I take great comfort in knowing that our children will be better than us. Just as we look at the ignorance of our grandparents and their attitudes towards race and wonder, “Why?”, so too will our children and grandchildren look with disgust at our attitudes towards homosexuality.

* * *

For the record, I donated neither time nor money to Prop 8.

* * *

[S]ome of us ... don’t like being lumped into the group of those that wanted it to pass. in the same group that donated money. some of us are ashamed, mad, and downright disgusted with the direction our beloved church has taken.

4 comments:

C. L. Hanson said...

I know how you feel. I'm going back and reading that post, putting your quote in context ;^)

"For me there is such bitterness in the concept of my rights being put to a vote. Let me be clear, my partner is a man, but I speak of my rights in this because they are. If history has not taught us the truth of that statement it is only because we have not paid attention. I am not in the habit of asking to have rights given to me, I demand them, I take them, I claim them, because they are not yours to give me. Except that they are. We have chosen to live together as a society so my rights are subject to your good will."

So eloquent -- right on the nose.

Beck said...

I feel ashamed of the path this has taken, and of the administration's decision to push it this far and now place all of us as members of the Church to suffer the consequences of this intolerance and lack of compassion.

I am deeply saddened and am sorry for what my Church has done to you and many others that I have come to love and call my brothers.

[kɹeɪ̯ɡ̊] said...

That was a great post by that woman. If only there were more people (especially Mormons) who would speak against the atrocious behaviour of their religious leaders. Too often, those who feel this way don't ever do anything about it to help bring about the change that is needed.

MoHoHawaii said...

Chanson: Thanks for the expanded quote.

Beck: Your comment really touched me. That active, faithful LDS folks like you haven't all drunk the Kool-Aid on the evils of gay marriage is a great comfort to me.

Craig: I think rank-and-file Mormons feel powerless to change the Church. LDS culture is very authoritarian. Writing a letter to church HQ is considered the act of an apostate.