Thursday, November 6, 2008

The morning after the morning after

What a difference a day can make.

Yesterday, the immediate aftermath of the election was a rollercoater of emotions for me. Today I feel resolute.

I'm reconciled to the fact that the loss on Prop. 8 is a one step backward in what will be a decades-long struggle for civil rights. Our cause is just, and we will eventually prevail. There is a one point of tremendous hope coming out of the exit polls. Young people between the ages of 18 and 29 voted overwhelming in favor of marriage equality. The vote for Prop. 8 was strongly correlated to the age of the voter.

I think it's important that we hold the Church accountable for its leadership role in the fight against civil rights for homosexuals. I don't mean boycotts or protests, but being clear about the role of the Church in the campaign is entirely within reason. I'd like to see some real investigative journalism applied here. In particular, inquiry into the way the money was raised and used would be of interest as well as how the infrastructure of the Church was used to support the campaign. It's a story that needs to be told. Sunlight is, after all, the best disinfectant. The Church should have no objection, since it should be willing to stand behind its actions and claims of fact and have them examined openly.

I also think there's a need for ongoing public relations. We need a documentary film about gay families in the aftermath of Prop. 8's success. The human face of this issue was lost in the campaign.

I don't think it's time to disengage or 'heal'. It's time to redouble our efforts, retain our sense of purpose and start working for a better future. We can do this with a sense of respect for differing opinions and without demonizing those, including the Church, who may disagree.

I like President-Elect Obama's take on this. He says that it is up to us to do the hard work of convincing people of the justness of our cause. This happens at a personal level as we interact with those around us. It's not just a matter of donating money to a political cause. Step one is coming out to our families and friends. We cannot afford to hide in the shadows.

Our day will come.

4 comments:

J G-W said...

I'm glad to see you bouncing back... I had my own "comeback" experience earlier this afternoon.

I agree with your statement about accountability. You're right, it's not a question of getting back, just a question of telling the truth, and letting the truth do its work in the minds and hearts of people.

There's been a scriptural phrase bouncing around in my head: "The love of many shall wax cold." That's what the Bible says will happen in the last days... And the way we've been treated by the religious right, I don't know how else to describe it but loveless and cold.

Where do I see the love? In the families that we forge, in spite of their best efforts to demonize us and legislate us into a corner. In the communities we build, in the families that gradually come to embrace us, in the friends and loved ones and people of faith who are slowly but surely rallying around us.

Love is always the stronger force, better and stronger and far more powerful than whatever it is that's motivating the putative Defenders of Marriage. Love is on its way... The clock is ticking...

Tom said...

I admire your willingness to remain calm in the face of so much calumny, bigotry and disappointment. Your voice is one of reason - for me there is still so much anger that the reason will have to wait in line.

There are of course movements afoot to hold the mormon church accountable for its transgressive foray into politics. They call it morality but it will be interesting to see how the government sees it because it's the government that holds the privilege of tax-exemption in its hands.

I don't know MoHo, this has struck so deep. And for once it's not just me feeling the sting.

MoHoHawaii said...

J G-W,

It's still up and down for me. I agree with you about the clock. Onward!

MoHoHawaii said...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

The U.S. has a long tradition of giving churches wide berth. I don't think the LDS Church's tax exempt status is remotely at risk.

Many, many of us feel the sting this time around, including many active LDS folks. I think the Church may be surprised at the level of division within its own ranks over this issue.