Sunday, June 17, 2007

Reflections on progress

Michael Kinsley has an essay in Time magazine called The Quiet Gay Revolution. His point is one that I've believed for a long time, namely that when it comes to gay rights the tide has turned, especially with the young, and that it's now only a matter of time. Here's an excerpt:

The debate of 14 years ago about gays in the military seems almost quaint. Kids grow up today with gay friends, gay parents, gay parents of friends and gay friends of parents. If only blacks and whites were as thoroughly mixed together in society as gays and straights are. Kids are also exposed constantly to an entertainment culture in which gays are not merely accepted but in some ways dominant. You rarely see a reality show without a gay cast member, while Rosie O'Donnell is a coveted free agent and Ellen DeGeneres is America's sweetheart. The notion that gays must be segregated out of the military for the sake of our national security must strike Americans younger than, say, 40 as simply weird, just as we of the previous generation find the rules of racial segregation weird. (O.K., run that by me again: they needed separate drinking fountains because ... why?)


(From: Dan Savage)

4 comments:

Stephen said...

I don't know, having my own drinking fountain would be pretty cool. I mean, think about how rarely I would have to wait in line if there was a gay drinking fountain. Who can argue with that?

playasinmar said...

Kids today... kids today.

iwonder said...

Do we get our own gay washrooms and gay buses and gay restaurants and gay churches and gay ghettos too?

Chris said...

Thanks for posting the Kinsley article. Sometimes when I get worked up about ongoing anti-gay bigotry, I step back and look at my life and the world I live in. There has been clear progress in gay rights since I was a kid. I believe in progress. Those who oppose gay rights are on the wrong side of history. I think that will be abundantly clear in the next 20 to 30 years--certainly in my lifetime (assuming I live to be an old gay man).