Thursday, June 28, 2007

Boyfriend 101

As a follow-up to my earlier post on finding a boyfriend I decided to see what the experts had to say.

I ended up with Boyfriend 101, a gay dating guide by Jim Sullivan published by Villard Press in 2003. I post the reference here because this book may be of interest to people who are just starting to date or might be wondering what the gay dating world is all about.

You guys might be interested to find out that "nice Mormon boy" is an official category in the list of "types" of dates, according to this author.

The biggest concern I have about the book is that it is written for people who have already come out and are secure in their sexual identity. This may limit its usefulness to people who are just coming out (you know who you are). In any case, check it out if you need some basic, practical advice on finding a boyfriend or are curious about how the process works.

4 comments:

J G-W said...

I read this (and your other recent "boyfriend" post). I wanted to pipe in, but realized that my relationship, and the story of how we've come to build it the last 15 years, broke almost every rule in the book. So, not wanting to encourage bad behavior, I just kept my mouth shut and read the comments (with great interest and enjoyment).

I think we have a tendency to look back at the mistakes we've made, and want to spare others the agony of making them by sharing our wisdom, coming up with relationship guides and what not. And I'm sure the advice we give is all very good -- if anyone would actually listen to it! Truth is, there's a reason why we make bad decisions (and reasons why we somehow eventually manage to become better people as a result of them).

But thinking about this has inspired me to want to post a brief history my relationship -- I plan to do that in the next day or two. I would be interested in seeing others do the same...

J G-W said...

I greeted my partner from you, and he told me to tell you "Aloha!"

Sir Jupiter said...

Ooh, I think I’ll pick that book up. I’m crossing my fingers that has chapters on how to deal with going on dates with the city councilman of a major metropolitan city or what to do if you accidentally went on a date with a guy who turned out to be a thrice-convicted child molester (even though he’s in his late 20’s and decent looking) and you work for a PEDIATRIC medical facility.

Elbow said...

Boyfriend 101 sounds like it would be an entertaining read, even if you're not on the market. The title is quite funny.